uh oh. As I continue my attempts to get Gilly looking lovely I have just found a possible major problem.
My right fork leg has lost a chunk of metal and is leaking oil. It's in a strange non-stressed part of the fork, so I have no idea how it could have happened. Perhaps a prang in the past, or a ham-fisted attempt at fitting new fork seals?
Anyway - I've had a quick look on eBay and there's nothing there apart from some expensive old forks in Australia. Before resorting to JBWeld or something like that I wondered if it's possible that someone on here might know of some new or secondhand ones lying in a shed...
Failing that - does anyone know if the same forks were used on other bikes of that era?
This message has an attachment image. Please log in or register to see it.
In this case I would probably do like this. Make a good fitting sleeve out of stainless steel (needs to be removed after the process) that fits where the seal would normally be. Make sure everything is spotlessly clean and with a map-gas torch heat up and apply Durafix solder eg www.oxfordweldingsuppliesltd.co.uk/gas-e...uminium-welding-rods to build up to the required profile. Then finish with flap disc/file etc. Use a dremel tool to form the groove for the retaining clip. Magic solder in my eyes!
An update...thanks for your ideas - I opted for getting the leg welded up, but as my welding skills and experience are non-existent I popped over to a local welding business down here in Kent and they filled the area in with alloy weld (along with a few other nicks and chips) for the princely sum of £40. Bargain.
I attacked the resulting metal blobs with the mighty dremel (other rotary tools are available) and did what I think was a passable job. I was going to take a photo to impress you all with, but decided to put the leg back together again to make sure that everything fitted as it should - and realised once I'd completed the work that it DID all fit, and I wasn't going to pull it apart again.
Anyway - the proof of the pudding is in the riding, so once I get my newly-chromed exhaust header back from the chromers and put the bike back together I'll take it for a test run. If it leaks then I guess I didn't do the passable job I thought I had...and will need to break out some gasket sealant or something similar to seal it all up.