A proposal for a Giro d'Italia style event in the UK

GeN
Site Admin
Reactions:

A proposal for a Giro d'Italia style event in the UK

Post by GeN »

I have prepared an article for possible submission to the editor of the VMCC Journal:

An ‘Italian Job’?
A VMCC Moto Giro proposal
Alistair’s President’s Progress item in the February journal and a topic on the VMCC Forum (if you aren’t a member yet why not?) started me thinking about the possibility of a VMCC event/run for machines representing Italian marques. I confess that’s partly because I recently acquired a 1957 Gilera G175 that competed in the modern version of the Giro in 2017, ridden by the person I purchased it from. Also, because I so enjoyed riding this delightful machine for 90 miles in the Levis/ Marjorie Cottle Trial in 2018.
I’d dearly love to do the real thing, but a combination of circumstances rules it out. I should have done it years ago. What about a smaller-scale event based in the UK I wondered? This would be an event of just one day’s riding instead of five, however, and restricted to VMCC eligible Italian machines of all capacities, rather than the pure <175cc of the original, or the much wider classes that are catered for by the current Italian organisation.
I posted a topic on the forum entitled “Anyone up for an ‘Italian Job’?” which featured a poll as follows: Are you interested in participating in an event/run restricted to Italian marques? The results from a potential forum subscriber’s target audience of nearly 1700 (though only 100 or so regular posters) were encouraging. 17 comprising 10 definitely and 7 maybe interested, with 10 definite No’s. Scaling these up to the wider VMCC membership is tricky, as I suspect the demographics of forum users may be skewed slightly towards Ducatisti, Guzzisti, Morinisti etc. (I can’t think of the correct form for Laverda, MV Agusta, …)
The very tentative ideas that are crystallising with some support are as follows:
• Open to all VMCC eligible machines of Italian manufacture, of any capacity, but divided in to capacity classes. Say < 250, 251-650, > 650
• Ideally, three, different ride routes (one for each class) planned to achieve a coordinated lunch stop, otherwise no timekeeping involved whatsoever (no average speed regularity or other awards).
• A Concorso d'Eleganza, judged at the lunch stop or start/finish .
• A start/finish venue with room for van and car/camper and trailer parking, ideally with onsite camping and B&B etc. accommodation available within reasonable riding distance.
• A scenic area with a mix of ‘interesting’ A roads, B roads and ‘clean’ (even dry, weather permitting!) lanes. We can’t quite rival the Italian Alps but suggestions have included Shropshire Hills, Welsh Marches, Peak District or Forest of Bowland.
This may all be far too much to organise without a very long lead time. I’m aware how long it took to coordinate the very successful Morini Riders Club International Morini Rally at Maidstone in 2018. It may be that I just lay on a local run aimed at flushing out all those flighty red bikes from my surrounding sections garages as a nod to the fact that the VMCC is not only about British bikes finished in black enamel.
So, over to you for thoughts and suggestions – for those who are VMCC Members visit :

https://forum.vmcc.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... 2&start=15

Ciao!
Pete Fisher
Curator of the Gilera Network website & forum (mostly 80's/ early 90's but all welcome)
http://www.gilera.org.uk/GeN 1957 175 Sport,1993 GFR 125
1980 Morini 2C/375
Forgotten Era 1982 Moto Morini 350 https://www.nhca.co.uk/

GeN
Site Admin
Reactions:

Re: A proposal for a Giro d'Italia style event in the UK

Post by GeN »

I'm in. ;)
Make: Gilera
Year:1957
Capacity: 175
Curator of the Gilera Network website & forum (mostly 80's/ early 90's but all welcome)
1980 Morini 2C/375

John Shearer
Reactions:

Post by John Shearer »

I'd like to be in.
Make: Moto Guzzi V50 Monza
Year:1981
Capacity: 500

Few ifs and buts I'm afraid.

I do not have a van or a trailer so location could be a problem.
Happy to stay in a hotel the night before and / or the night after.
If it's camping I will be a no.
Also have some corrective surgery coming up and recovery time after that so timing may be a factor.
But if I can make it I will.
Thanks very much and good luck with it all.

GeN
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by GeN »

Thanks John. I've turned reactions on specially to celebrate the first new member of this forum. :)
1980 Morini 2C/375

pedro
Reactions:

Post by pedro »

Definitely interested Pete, location Kent, bike a Morini 350 or 400 or 507cc definitely a Morini though.

Steve Brown
Reactions:

Post by Steve Brown »

Yes, I'd be up for this. Spiffing wheeze!

Ian Pettifor
Reactions:

Post by Ian Pettifor »

Hi Pete, count me in, date pending. Would prefer to come on Ducati 175, but could be a bigger Guzzi.

Daeda
Reactions:

Post by Daeda »

I would be up for that. Can I suggest Portmerion as a suitable venue, also nice roads around North Wales.

iansmart
Reactions:

Post by iansmart »

Yes! I can virtually guarantee 6 from the Surrey area. All pre'57 Italians 3 Parillas, a Gilera, Mondial and an Aeromacchi. We had a great time on the Moto Giro d'Italia last year and are all keen to go again. I do like the suggestion of North Wales, overly steep mountains and variable weather are a requirement.

bannman1927
Reactions:

Post by bannman1927 »

Hi there, Im from Northern Ireland,I Have 1957 MV 175 ab America, 1960 Bianchi tonale 175, and also 1966 Ducati 250, Mark 3. So i am interested in an event like this. I would be willing to travel to the event, and also possibly share, van or trailer, etc with other like minded people. Good luck with planning.